Saturday, January 7, 2012

New year, new armies and new games

As I am holding back on Flames of war until I see the Version 3 rules I have been working on a a Warhammer fantasy skaven army. I am sure I have said this here before but I find it somewhat disturbing that I have these fantasy armies and I have never played the game. I see minis I like and I buy them, I plan armies, I plan out how I would use them on the field, yet I don't even know for sure how the rules work. I have someone who is going to teach me how to play fantasy sometime but I don't know for sure when that will be. of course I wouldn't be me if I didn't get sidetracked from this project just like the rest of them.

 So last night I went over to one of the local game shops and quickly got sidetracked from my skaven. I was given a demo game of warmachine by one of the local press gangers, as usual I cant remember his name. I was confused by most of the mechanics as they are so far off from what I am used to but I was impressed by the unique rules some models had. I played as khador, I had a warcaster and 2 warjacks, I remember the warcaster was soascha and one of the jacks was a kodiak, I dont remember what the other jack was. The kodiak had the ability to pick up an enemy and throw it which I thought was awesome even though it got slaughtered before it was able to pull of such a move but my warcaster was able to freeze the entire enemy force in place and she then charged up to the enemy warcaster and basically beat the hell out of him while he was frozen solid and couldn't do anything. the almost cinimatic quality of the game made me grin and I am now building a small Khador force of my own. The game apealed to me for a number of reasons but 2 of the big ones is the chance to play something other than Flames of war as there is a thriving group of players here as well as the chance that maybe as I get to know some of these other local gamers I can interest a few more people in Flames as well.

 I will try to get some pictures of both the growing saken horde and the warmachine force as soon as I can find my camera.

4 comments:

  1. Check out the website BattleCollege to get an idea of how armies play. WarmaHordes is every enjoyable, but has many "it does what?!" moments.

    Also, don't bother with buying the Khador book unless you want to read the fluff. Use Forward Kommander to crunch out lists and see the Tier lists (fluff lists with some fun bonus rules).

    http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/
    http://www.forwardkommander.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I don't intend to buy the book, I got the card deck from a friend and will consider the book for fluff if I get sucked into the game. I will check into the websites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What warcaster are you going with? I play Cygnar, but I have green-eyed jealousy over beats, high ARM, and warjack spam that Khador can throw down. Plus, I love the war dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of the butcher on his card but for now just the one from the starter box.

    ReplyDelete